Category Archives: Software

Railway Decay

Detail on an old railway carriage.

Detail on an old railway carriage.

My main use for macro is nature photography, particualry the phtography of insects, spiders and other invertebrates. But macro is good for bringing out the detail in almost anything. In this case a simple painted bolt in an old railway carriage, with the paint flaking, and the  underlying wood now in decay.

Ballycarbery Castle, County Kerry

Ballycarbery Castle, an 'undeveloped' ruin, now used by cattle.

Ballycarbery Castle, an ‘undeveloped’ ruin, now used by cattle.

Ballycarbery Castle is an ‘enter-at-your-own-risk’ property, and we did. Some of the lower chambers are still whole, so you could scramble up to a higher level. There is turf and small trees growing there, and on the lower walls some ancient ivy plants still cling, giving the ruin the feeling of an Arthur Rackham print, sans fairies. Unfortunately the tower has been locked, so we could not venture higher.

St. Aidan’s Cathedral, Enniscorthy, County Wexford

church pano20140512_0001_stitch

This is a vertical panorama of the interior of St. Aidan’s Cathedral in Enniscorthy, Wexford, Eire. It was designed by Augustus Welby Northmere Pugin (1812-1852) in the Gothic Revival style. Construction began in 1846, however, due to design problems, it was unable to be completed until 1871, when a smaller and lighter bell-tower was substituted for Pugin’s original overweight spire design. The latest restoration was in 1994.

Composed of six hand-held exposures, manual setting: ISO 2500, 1/60 sec. @ f6.3. Canon 5D Mk II with 24-105mm f4 L IS USM lens (@ 24mm). Images processed in Adobe Lightroom, assembled in Microsoft Ice and sharpened and de-noised with Nik software.

Inis Oírr, Aran Islands

Inis Oírr (Inisheer), Aran Islands, County Galway, Eire

Inis Oírr (Inisheer), Aran Islands, County Galway, Eire

Staigue Ring Fort, County Kerry

Late Iron Age Staigue Ring Fort, County Kerry.

The Late Iron Age Staigue Ring Fort, County Kerry.

Estimated to have been built sometime between 100 BCE and 400 CE, this ring fort probably protected a local chieftain’s family and servants. The walls are 6 metres high and 4 meteres thick at the base, with an inside diameter of 30 meteres. More at Archaeology Travel.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Quin Friary, County Clare.


The stones that were used to construct Quin Friary were torn from the ruins of an earlier Anglo-Norman castle that was built by Thomas de Clare, Lord of Thomond in 1280. The Normans were no slouches when it came to castle-building, but only 6 years after its construction, Cuvea MacNamara and his clan, (avenging the death of a chieftain of the O’Liddy clan) stormed the fortress, killed the inhabitants, leaving the site, “...a hideous blackened cave“†. The MacNamara’s later invited the Franciscan Order to found a friary at the site in 1433. Although the Quin Abbey was included in the Henry the VII’s Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1541, the O’Brien inheritors of the abbey allowed the monks to remain as the building slowly decayed around them.When the MacNamara’s regained control of the friary in about 1590 they began restoring it, only to have it torn down by Cromwellian forces in 1651. In succeeding years it went through various waves of restoration and neglect, until it was finally taken over by the Board of Public Works in 1880.

†From an OPW info. panel at the friary.

(Photographed in Ireland on 29 April, 2014)

Enhanced by Zemanta